.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Monday, May 30, 2005

Book Tag

Well, I've been book-tagged by Ken MacLeod. I don't know what kind of misfortune will result from breaking the chain, so here goes:

1. Total number of books I own: a thousand or so (a rough guess, since so many of them are still in boxes from previous moves).

2. The last book I bought: Frances Moore Lappe's World Hunger: Twelve Myths and Bob Rodale's Composting (I don't remember which one actually hit the counter first).

3. The last book I read: Currently reading the new 2004 edition of Walter Adams' and James Brock's The Bigness Complex.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me:
Kirkpatrick Sale. Human Scale.
Benjamin Tucker. Instead of a Book.
David DeLeon. The American as Anarchist.
Harry C. Boyte. The Backyard Revolution: Understanding the New Citizen Movement.
Henry J. Silverman, ed. American Radical Thought: The Libertarian Tradition.

5. Tag five people and have them do this on their blogs:

Larry Gambone
Logan Ferree
Brad Spangler
Dave Pollard
Jesse Walker

Of course there are a lot more people I'd like to pass this along to (especially for their answers to #4)--but I am nothing, if not a stickler for obeying the rules.

7 Comments:

Blogger Luke Rhinehart said...

you guys are great- I really enjoyed the posts on vulgar libertarianism, which is rampant here in the blogosphere.

May 30, 2005 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin-
I saw you a bit around Catallarchy- it's a shame that you don;t get more comments on your posts- if you simply swallowed the dogma of libertarians you criticize (who of course think themselves freethinking and radical) I'm sure you'd graner plenty of attention. Instead you write very honest forthright stuff that dares to seriously question the status quo, whereas most other libertarians simply clear their throat with a "sure IP is bad" or "of course corporate subsidies are wrong" but choose instead to concentrate on using their ideology to practically align themselves with statist neoliberal interests.

I think this illustrates very clearly why the internet is struggling as this free market of information- it's already developing a filtering system that approximates that of the "free" press in the US (and elsewhere I'm sure.) The spectrum of thought on dailykos vs. andrewsullivan (for instance) doesn't do much serious questioning of any actual elite interests. Keep up the good work though, and you can count me as a reader.

May 30, 2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Many thanks, matt. And as for you, clownpenis.fart, your name alone is enough to make you my new hero.

May 30, 2005 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite my carping, I genuinely enjoy this blog. I enjoy getting new perspectives on capitalism and free markets.

I think Kev gets few comments because of the length of his blog posts. They're more like essays.

- Josh

June 01, 2005 1:20 PM  
Blogger freeman said...

I think Kev gets few comments because of the length of his blog posts. They're more like essays.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoy reading all of them, especially the longer ones.

June 01, 2005 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to disagree with you Josh- crooked timber for instance... While I'll grant you that the posts are shorter, there's not even a comparison between the comments those guys get vs. this site, which I find more thought provoking. Maybe it's special case, but there are tons of examples I think.

I find that there's a more likely explanation: libertarians get significant attention not only because of the quality of their thought (which is above average I'd say, in general) but because of how nicely some of their ideas dovetail with the elite ideas. As a result, I think that the libertarians who's positions are very out of touch with the mainstream will tend to be ignored. Kevin's positions are a perfect example.

June 01, 2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

And thanks again to everybody for all the kind words.

June 02, 2005 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home